FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which airline is responsible for checking visa requirements on an interline PNR?
Old May 22, 2019, 2:56 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
That's been my experience. If the domestic flight isn't the same airline as the international the domestic doesn't check docs even if they check the bags through to the final destination.
The carrier (or you) don't get find when your bags arrive without you at the destination, so there's little risk for them.

This has been my experience as well - for D-I on different airlines, only the international one has checked, while I-I they both always check.

Originally Posted by shiv666
Just to clarify here is something that transpired with a friend of mine.

-friend booked from canada to south asia with canadian carrier and gulf region carrier
-all flights on one pnr ticketed by the gulf carrier
-first airline only checked travel documents required for domestic travel but checked bags to final destination in south asia
-after completing the domestic flight the second airline denied passenger boarding because they did not have a return ticket as part of the entry requirement to final destination
-first airline says they are only required to check requirements for the segments they operate
-second airline says that the airline who initially accepted the bags and tagged them to final was supposed to perform a TIMATIC check
-friend has obviously reached out to both airlines customer relations teams but i was unable to google any clear answer to assist so i said i would inquire here
When your friend was denied boarding on the international flight, did they get their bags back? If not, did they reach out to the airlines in order to get their bags back or was that for some other reason?