FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?
Old May 22, 2019, 9:20 am
seanp7

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am flying PP at the end of the month for the first time. Quite excited as I have the bulkhead window which by all accounts is a great seat.

I am curious as to how many of you who have flown PP had a GPU applied for Polaris? I have one applied and suspect it is unlikely the upgrade will come through. (Trying to understand the liklihood as I have another flight where I am in E+ as premium was too high for PP and have foregone the GPU to PP and only want Polaris on that flight and curious if that will happen - it is a day flight so I am fine in E+).
To state the obvious: It really just depends on the loads. I had the following scenario recently:
1. EWR-FRA in R (PP) - GPU applied and waitlisted
2. FRA-EWR in W (Y) - GPU applied and waitlisted.

(1) cleared at T-55 mins, after I had boarded. I got the last J seat, from Prem Plus. 2 pax didn't check in on time, even though J was booked.
(2) cleared at T-23 hours, just after check-in, I went from Y to J, leap-frogging Prem Plus.

It's a gamble but I do think buying PP if the price is reasonable gives you a solid chance. As noted above, whether a Y to PP upgrade with a GPU is 'worth it' will vary from person to person. I say definitely yes if you have historically struggled to use GPU's, you don't travel internationally very often, you normally buy J outright, etc.