FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 787 - Dimmed Windows Override
View Single Post
Old May 22, 2019, 7:49 am
musehead

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm the same about scenery and the aurora, and I also take plenty of photos of anything interesting I see. But this is where my experience seems to be the polar opposite to yours. Three big windows of the 787 make it a really good CW experience for those who like to look outside.

I've taken, I guess, approx 40 x 787 flights so far this year on BA, maybe more. Probably half MF, half WW. None of the day time flights have been locked, and I think maybe 2 of the night flights were, but were unlocked on request. So my experience, for what it is worth, is that I would book 787s for precisely the same reasons that you would not. It's only been on Qatar (last year) that I had a mild and very polite run in with the cabin crew on the issue.
I've probably just been unlucky in that case. I've only taken 6 x 787 flights on BA, 3 of them overnight. Had the windows locked to something I didn't want on 3 of them. I do love the big windows when they're clear though.

Originally Posted by footballfanatic
but why not give the crew control? There’s always the one guy who lifts and lowers the shade repeatedly in a dark cabin.

That's probably me, if it's a daytime flight. It's because I want natural light and to see the scenery etc, but then I feel bad at the thought of annoying the people around me so I close it again. It really kills me to sit in a dark box when there's so much awe-inspiring stuff to see out the window!