FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 787 - Dimmed Windows Override
View Single Post
Old May 22, 2019, 4:39 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by musehead
I try to avoid booking flights on a 787 due to the window locking issue.

Some of my best experiences on night flights have been watching the Aurora and spotting shooting stars outside - which of course would only be possible with a fully open window, or in the case of the 787 a window set to 1.

On day flights I want to watch the scenery and try to identify cities, mountains etc and take photos. The window really needs to be set to 1 to get a clear enough view. Plus I want to be exposed to daylight on a daytime flight!
I'm the same about scenery and the aurora, and I also take plenty of photos of anything interesting I see. But this is where my experience seems to be the polar opposite to yours. Three big windows of the 787 make it a really good CW experience for those who like to look outside.

I've taken, I guess, approx 40 x 787 flights so far this year on BA, maybe more. Probably half MF, half WW. None of the day time flights have been locked, and I think maybe 2 of the night flights were, but were unlocked on request. So my experience, for what it is worth, is that I would book 787s for precisely the same reasons that you would not. It's only been on Qatar (last year) that I had a mild and very polite run in with the cabin crew on the issue.