FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How Complimentary Upgrades Work
View Single Post
Old May 21, 2019, 7:26 pm
VegasGambler
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I have personal experience booking an MVP & non-status on a companion certificate belonging to the MVP. Both parties were waitlisted for an upgrade. The MVP showed up on the waitlist, the companion did not. There is also one report of an MVP & non-status companion getting upgraded.

I understand that is contrary to the benefits listed. Perhaps the waitlist was cleared and empty F seats remained. Depending on the load, asking for a PNR "split" at the gate isn't necessarily "too late" but a separate PNR is definitely the better way to go unless both parties will be checking baggage.

In my case, I was surprised the two were actually waitlisted. The only thing I can attribute it to was booking it through my account as a 75K. I have not, as yet, tested that theory.

James
This was most likely some sort of a glitch. The vast majority of the data indicates that neither person should be waitlisted (there are a lot of MVPs here; this is not an edge case)

Now, of we could figure out what caused the glitch... that would be useful. The case of a 75k booking a flight for two other people (one MVP and one statusless) using his own companion pass is probably an edge case (and isn't even allowed according to the website, although all the data indicates that it works)