FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Amex Plat Benefits With Hertz (could use some guidance)
Old May 21, 2019, 12:09 am
nycflyer17
formerly smoaky

Originally Posted by Yllanes
If you do not have a car, secondary is the same as primary (it just means your regular insurance pays first and then the secondary covers what's left, which is all in your case).

There is an AMEX CDP you can use which typically gets you good rates and has the very interesting perk of a 4-hour grace period, so you can rent for 28 hours and pay one day (notice that you would still pay two days for things like the liability insurance). This CDP actually works even if you do not use the AMEX to pay.

With National, AMEX gets you Executive status, which is very good (you get to pick from the Executive Aisle in airports).
Are you saying I can enjoy the benefits of the Amex card with Hertz even if I use a Chase card to pay?

That benefit with National sounds great as well. Presumably I can just book the cheapest car (economy or whatever) then pick a full-size when I arrive?

I'll be driving from Santa Fe/ABQ to SLC over about a week. Open to whatever program I can get the most use out of using my Amex card. I asked about Hertz because their rates were well lower on this route from Santa Fe vs. a wider array of expensive choices from ABQ. We are talking $550 vs. $1,000. So I may be stuck with Hertz, in which case I'll try to take full advantage of these benefits.