FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Amex Plat Benefits With Hertz (could use some guidance)
Old May 20, 2019, 10:18 pm
nycflyer17
formerly smoaky

Using Amex Plat Benefits With Hertz (could use some guidance)

Hi all,

First things:

I live in a city and have never owned a car. The few times I've rented on, I put it on a Chase card which offers primary insurance and the top it off with liability insurance the rental firm sells for $10-$15 or whatever it is. I cover all my bases as a non car owner.

Now, I have an Amex Biz Plat, which I know should get me a bunch of benefits at Hertz and other rental places (in this case I'll stick with Hertz). I'm trying at the moment to figure out exactly how I need to book in order to accrue the benefits like an upgrade. I have to pay with the card? I have to set my Hertz account a certain way?

But moreover, from what I understand Amex only provides *secondary* insurance, which may not pay everything you need it to. Should I be worried if I book with my Amex Plat Biz via Hertz, turn down their insurance options - save liability -- as I normally do? Will this secondary insurance suffice? I always prefer to pay up front for peace of mind.

it would be nice to get an upgrade -- i guess that's the only nice benefit -- but not sure it's worth this risk with the secondary vs. primary insurace.

What do folks think? What have your experiences been? I'm renting a car for a mini road trip out west. It doesn't need to go off road or anything like that, outside of scenic pit stops!

Thanks