FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old May 20, 2019, 5:42 pm
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by sixtybi
Yes, that's why I am worrying a bit. I have just sent this question to the airline, to have a written confirmation from them, this is fine.
The worst is that we denied at Manila. I hope everything will be fine here.
Unfortunately this is probably the worst thing you could have done

99 times out of 100 airline staff will tell you that you need a visa, They don’t understand the rules, and have no reason to use them on a daily basis.

Secondly, even if they confirm you are ok, they don’t usually put this in writing because rules can change. If they write guaranteeing everything is ok, but the rules change in a month’s time, they get nervous.

Airline staff in the front line (check in) are usually familiar with the rules. Allowing extra time at the airport should give you peace of mind (that is, don’t turn up just a check in is closing )

When you go to check in at BUD they will start to look for a chinese visa. At this point you say that you will be using transit without visa in China, and that you have an onward ticket to Manila. You then give them the tickets to manila, and they will do what they need to.