Old May 20, 19, 12:27 am
brunos
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
I think that you are overreacting.
VN can be a decent experience, but also a bad one., especially if irrops.
Unless there is a significant price difference, I would never prefer VN over KA.
If there are delays, it won't make a difference between VN and KA.

VN513 from PEK arrives at 6:30pm and connects to the last flight to DAD at 9pm, arriving really late at 10:20pm.
Remember that you will have to clear immigration and custom at HAN. It can be quite long depending on your visa situation. With VOA, lines can be quite long. Then you have to transfer to the domestic terminal. I am not sure but I think that you need to recheck your bags. Again, not sure. If your VN513 is well over an hour late, you might miss the connection (last month typical delay was 50min). Then you send the night in HAN.

If you book an earlier CX/KA flight to pad your transfer time in HKG, you will be fine. If all flight experience a delay from PEK, KA/CX will usually put you on an earlier flight that is delayed. VN cannot do that.
Also note that Wednesdays KA flight departs at 7:55am, so you won't spend 24h in HK.

The only reason I would choose VN is the 787 with longhaul busines class seats, much better than CX/KA regional seats, but that is not a long flight.
All other factors are in favor of CX/KA (earlier arrival, better handling of irrops, same price)