FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge
Old May 18, 2019, 6:03 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by BCasc
I typically earn Gold (5 years running) and expect to earn again in 2019. I am considering the Plat challenge though as I have solid, premium travel starting 23 May for the next 90 days. It is my understanding that Plat will be good until Jan, 2020. My question is, if complete the true requirements for Gold ($3k EQD, 25k EQM) or even Plat, will my status change to Gold (or remain Plat) in Jan 2020 when Plat challenge status expires?
1) If you can start the Platinum Challenge June 16 or later you will have Platinum status through January 2021. Start before that, through January 2020.

If you earn Gold as well, you’ll drop to Gold 1 Feb 2020.

Originally Posted by mj12g
Does anyone know whether or not the Platinum challenge gives OW Sapphire status during the challenge period? I have an award flight on BA coming up, and reserving seats will cost $600+. If I can, I'd rather do the status challenge (even though it's unlikely I would complete it) for $480 if it allowed me to select seats for free.
If you pay the $480 premium mentioned in the Wikipost at the top of the page for interim Platinum status while you’re presumably trying to succeed at completing the Challenge, you’ll hold Platinum (oneworld Sapphire) during that period of time.