FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will Southwest's entry into the inter-island market lower fares?
Old May 18, 2019, 11:29 am
LIH Prem

Originally Posted by WrightHI
I haven't done a lot of looking, but a quick scan shows some very cheap HA fares in response.
I recently compared prices on SWA and Hawaiian between OGG and HNL (there's a ton of flights every day on HA between OGG/HNL) using two browser windows side-by-side. The flights in direct competition time-wise with SWAs 4 daily flights showed the same exact fares overall, though the presentation is quite different .. final prices were identical when picking the cheapest fares but it's hard to see that on the initial flight selection screens. And of course, it doesn't factor in SWAs free bags. Other flights were normal HA pricing.

But now looking at Friday June 28, not seeing direct price competition on every flight. SWA has $39 fares on 3 of its 4 flights, HA only showing one flight 6:30pm with a $39 fare. HA has 27 flights that day from OGG to HNL. SWA has 4 flights, 3 with $39 fares, one with $59 fare. I guess YMMV.

Another data point, on July 9, SWA has $29 fares on all 4 flights. HA has only one flight with $29 fares (7:10pm departure).

I guess what I saw before is not true anymore .. only select flights, and not all, maybe one or two per day will match SWA's cheapest fares. overall, this needs more analysis as I only compared a few random dates today.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; May 18, 2019 at 11:58 am