FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renaissance what is a legitimate "breakfast alternative"
Old May 17, 2019, 9:58 pm
Horace

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kurjan
According to the Bonvoy T's & C's, if a Renaissance non-resort property fails to offer a Platinum (or higher) member breakfast or a "breakfast alternative", they owe the member $100

Renaissance 57 in Manhattan does not offer breakfast on the weekend. They told me that the 750 points/weekend day they offer is their "breakfast alternative".

Could a Bonvoy representative tell me whether this meets the terms of the Bonvoy program? (750 points are worth far less than breakfast for 1 or 2, so this feels contrary to the spirit of the program. If not, how do I get my $100?)
Renaissance hotels (non-resort) provide breakfast through the Guaranteed Lounge Access program for Platinum Elite and higher. If the lounge is closed or there is not lounge, then the member is invited to choose either daily breakfast in the restaurant for member +1 OR 750 points per day. It's the member's choice, not the hotel's choice.

But some hotels are exempt. The Renaissance New York Hotel 57 is one of 20 properties in the United States (including 6 other Renaissance properties) that are specifically listed in the Marriott Bonvoy Terms & Conditions as NOT offering breakfast in the hotel restaurant if the lounge is closed, but that "provide 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast." Not 750 points. 1,000 points. No other breakfast alternative. No choice for the member.