FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 3% surcharge in restaurant, but "keep tipping as usual"
Old May 17, 2019, 3:14 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Restaurants in NJ have just started adding the CC processing fee to users of credit cards. One of my go-to places has done so, and posted a sign advising customers, and I told them I won't be back.

It is stupid, stupid business to piss off your customers like that. Raise the food a $1 and it should cover it. I had a $600 check at that place once, I don't carry, nor do I want to carry, that kind of cash around with me.

I must not be the only one who feels that way... I pass it on my way to my dad's house and it is always busy - and on the weekends it's insanely busy. It's off the beaten track, so people have to make a point to go there. Anyway, ever since the fee the parking lot is not as full as it used to be - even on the weekends.
I'll cut a little bit of slack for small purchases. There is​ a reason why credit card rewards in this country are pretty good, after all.
​​​​​​
Of course, a fair number of people likely won't do so. The merchant considering doing this should consider whether it's worth it.