FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waldorf Astoria Bangkok {THA}
View Single Post
Old May 16, 2019, 9:35 pm
SCtrojan

I wanted to give a quick review. Stayed using my Hilton Aspire 1 night free award in May. Checked in at 12:30 and was given an upgraded view as Diamond status. I pressed the check in staff about a suite and was offered one, but only at 3:00. Since it was only one night my wife didn't want to wait around a couple hours to get a suite so we stuck with the normal room.

The room itself was nice, and very modern. Personally I think they had a little bit too much tech (do I need a touch screen to open a window?) but overall was very well appointed. The hotel is rather small, so gives a bit of an intimate feel about it. We tried to go up to the pool, but the elevators were not working. We asked the front desk and were told just to wait, which was a very frustrating experience. We ended up just being stuck in the room until an hour later the elevators were fixed.

The pool is small and is more for lounging around than actual swimming. Definitely an instagram-style city pool. One thing that was surprising is it was FREEZING in the afternoon. I actually went there a couple hours later when my wife was getting a massage and I have to say it was unbearably cold. This may be a positive if you are out in Bangkok all day and hot, but for us it was a surprising disappointment.

As a Diamond we were given 1,000 THB in F&B credits which we used at the bar at the top of the hotel. Very nice little space and 1,000 THB was basically enough for 2 cocktails. As a Diamond I was a bit disappointed thats all they gave, given all the other Hiltons in town give you much more in terms of drink / happy hours.

Breakfast at the Brasserie was very intimate and nice. The food seemed a bit higher quality than most hotel buffets. However, the variety was less compared to some of the other hotels I've stayed at. Again, it's an "intimate" setting, so they can't have every dish under the sun. Overall I would say it was probably top 5 hotel buffet's I have had, but it was a step behind the JW Marriott Phu Quoc, which had both quality and quantity and is my buffet Gold Standard.

Overall the hotel is very nice and as a Diamond you do get a really nice breakfast and good potential for upgrades. The downside is you don't get lounge or happy hour access. They are trying to compete with other ultra high end hotels, so it's tough to differentiate the Diamonds too much as then they downgrade the "regular" clientele, who are also used to being treated exclusively. I was getting the night for free, so the cost was irrelevant. Had I been paying I would have opted for another Bangkok hotel like the Conrad or Hilton Sukhumvit at half the price. Also those hotels have superior Diamond recognition, which I personally value.