FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccommodation)
Old May 16, 2019, 7:51 am
nk15
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Assuming you're referring to the 60 Minutes Australia piece, I think the insinuation is that Boeing "did it" because they thought they had no chance of competing with Airbus on aircraft orders if they didn't get this plane out to customers ASAP...which meant it absolutely HAD to be offered without a separate type certification.

It's becoming more and more, in my mind, a classic case of profits over safety. Airbus caught Boeing with their pants down - 100% on Boeing, as they made some horrible wrong decisions in the 2000s, not the least of which was halting 757 production. A" 757 MAX "would have been easy to put efficient engines on, would have had the seating capacity needed to compete with the A320/321 neo, and would have had the ground clearance and components to allow for future improvements without destabilizing the wing/engine area.

It's also becoming clear to me that Southwest's obsession with maintaining an all-737 fleet has had the unintended consequence of Boeing kowtowing too much to the cost control that such airlines have tried to stretch across 40 years.
I agree it was about the speed of the certification, but I also think they were trying to hide the pitch up issues and the MCAS completely from airlines and pilots (maybe even the FAA?), that's why there was no mention of it in the pilot training manuals. They were hoping, against common sense, that the one sensor will never malfunction.

Or, even worse, they perhaps knew it could/will happen at some point but planning to correct it later (when and if needed, e.g., after a crash), after they passed the certification and got the first orders and deliveries out...

Last edited by nk15; May 16, 2019 at 9:41 am