FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EC261/2004 Claim Denied and new information
Old May 15, 2019, 10:52 pm
highupinthesky

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by Some person
SK is right. The flight has to be at least three hours late before you get any money. After two hours, you get food and two phone calls.
No. For flights below 1500KM, it's only 2 hours and the compensation is 250 EUR.

Originally Posted by tobiashenry
I was delayed for 2 hours 10 minutes last February 2018 from LHR to ARN. The flight has been delayed from inbound already, making it a 1.25-hour late departure in Heathrow. Once landed in ARN, the airport was functioning, but we were told there was no staff at the gate so the plane cannot deplane and there was quite a bit of snow in the taxiway. Finally, we were allowed to be deplaned after 2 hours 10 minutes. SAS first told me that you have to be at least 3 hours to claim under EC261/2004. I subsequently told them LHR-ARN is under 1500 km. Then they told me that this is a weather problem, it's none of their business
If the flight taking you LHR-ARN was delayed arriving LHR due to weather, this reason does apply to your flight too as LHR is an outstation and SK can't be expected to have reserve planes ready there.

Originally Posted by tobiashenry
My friend had a situation where there's a weather delay (less severe, delay for 1 hour, leading missing his connecting flight) He was able to recover under EC261/2004
Weather can't always be used as an excuse. It depends on the severity of the weather. The weather conditions you describe for your flight sounds like ARN has been running of 50% capacity or maybe even closed for a while, while the weather for your friends flight sounds like a normal bad weather where the airports are still running 100% capacity but slower and more distance between the planes at landing and takeoff.
I would still try to get the compensation. You can't get anything less than no, and you can always try to send it through one of the leeches if you get no where with SK. They will take a percentage, but if you still get no, you don't have to pay anything.