FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Celebrates 100 Days no Cancelations
Old May 15, 2019, 7:22 pm
ethernal

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by cre95
Same way as “being on time” is more easily achieved when schedules are heavily padded.

It’s amazing that one can leave 30 min late on a 2.5 hr scheduled flight and still arrive early! Note that we are talking about a 20% delay and still make it to the destination early.
In fairness, the padding is really for two reasons:
  • Account for changes in jetstream. This is a random variable that cannot be predicted with reasonable accuracy until 48-96 hours prior to departure. An unusually strong jetstream can make a "typically" 5 hour flight into a 5 hour and 45 minute flight.
  • Account for all too predictable apron/runway congestion

These are factors outside of Delta's control. That said, Delta is highly incented to minimize block times - padding costs money. They won't do it unless they have to.

JFK is a great example of this. For flights arriving / departing at 4-7 PM (peak TATL departure time), flight padding is noticeably greater.

If operational excellence was as easy as padding flight times, United and American would do it.

By the way - Delta's real defining operational excellence factor IS their cancellation rate. I know there are some snide remarks on this thread, but what Delta has done with cancellations is downright remarkable. Yes, some of it is from 12 hour delayed flights, but a significant portion of it is from

I am not a Delta fanboy - but I give credit where credit is due, and Delta's management of cancellations is not just leading among the US-3, it is leading across the entire globe. No other airline (when adjusting for weather, route network, and so on) has such a high completion factor. And it's not even close.