FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tupolev 134 & 154 into Siberia + Yak-42, BA 789 J & S7 J
Old May 15, 2019, 10:24 am
jlisi984

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
A hop into Moscow

There was no line-up at immigration - in fact, nobody at all, and all the agents were lazing around in the back of their cubicles. With the typical Eastern European apathy one reluctantly took my passport and only asked me as much as where I had come from. Then, in the traditional bureaucratic way, she inspected each and every page of my passport, through two magnifying glasses and UV light. Eventually I was handed back my passport, without as much as a smile, and was sent on my way. Behind me, a rather sizeable lineup consisting of the BA233 passengers had formed.

Since P was only flying in immediately before our first Russian-metal flight to Izhevsk, I had a six hour connection to myself, which of course I used to go to Moscow. I had purchased the Аэроэкспресс ticket beforehand on their website, a same-day return costs only 850 RUB, or about 12 EUR.

On the way, I decided to purchase a SIM card, for our comfort in case of urgent need in Mirny or Polyarny, and since after all P is technically still at work. The process was super quick, and I overpaid three times the normal amount (despise a ripoff), but for the convenience and considering we’re talking about 10 EUR here it was a done deal.

The Aeroexpress terminal is adjacent to the airport, just a short walk in the rain.

The ticket was in my Apple Wallet, and the train was just pulling in. Free WiFi onboard, very clean, comfortable seats…

But a LOT of advertising.

Greenery and rain on the way into Moscow.

At Paveletsky Rail Terminal, there was a security check to get into the station building (Russian style - have to make sure you’re clean coming into Moscow!) and I went to the Metro landing to purchase a ticket. Lenin’s name greeted me immediately.

Paveletsky is one of a multitude of railway stations in Moscow, and offers relatively few services throughout the day…

I had decided to take a tram because it took about the same amount of time as the metro, and I would see some surface sights (though undoubtedly the metro stations are tourist attractions in themselves). Of course, as luck would have it, I saw two suitable trams just as I left the railway terminal, but ended up waiting a good ten minutes for the next one.

A rubbish bin at the tram stop, true to Russian style.

Tram stops here are in the middle of the street and most drivers try not to stop.

Ah, yes, finally the right one!

I was glad to get a true vintage tram, complete with the Eastern European sweat smell. The custom here, as in other true proletariat states, is to get up for anybody who looks older than about 50-60, and to help older people up the very steep steps onto the tram.

Tram sightseeing paid off!

At the final stop, a quick lesson in Cyrillic.

My first and, as a matter of fact, primary destination was the central post office. I needed to get a competent post office to buy the stamps I would require for my postcards, and there would be no time at any of my stops. Unfortunately the почтамт was under renovation, so the service was conducted from a series of back offices accessed through the typical Soviet courtyard, with limited to no signage. Asking around, I was pointed to the right one, and a fairly disinterested but ultimately helpful man helped me purchase 48 international stamps.

With that out of the way, I walked towards Red Square, as the drizzle turned into proper rain.

Ice cream, perhaps?

Lighting conditions for pictures were rather abysmal and the rain had already drenched me, but I did what I could under the circumstances.

Sometimes the rain can help your pictures…

No visit to Moscow is complete without a trip on the metro, so down I went. Unfortunately the Teatralnaya station complex isn’t the most elaborate…

Inside, true to form, the metro was noisy and fast. I love the distance between stations, very refreshing after the Tube, which stops without having even sped up.

Paveletsky station is much more interesting!

Note the enormous swing doors!

The station was rather utilitarian from the outside, not helped by the ever-present construction occurring in front.

Aeroexpress has a separate hall downstairs, and they also have a canopy over the platform - the only platform upon which such an honour is bestowed.

One train pulled in, everybody went to the doors, another train pulled in, everybody moved to those doors. This journey was very full, but I managed to secure a single seat and enjoyed taking in the rainy Moscow suburbs.