FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How does the duplicate booking killer work?
Old May 14, 2019, 4:03 pm
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mikeysf
I've not had a lot of experience with Alaska's duplicate booking detection / killer; can anyone share some anecdata on how it works?

By "duplicate booking" I mean booking the same or impossible routes, eg, two one-way transcons with same routing & different departure times on the same day. "Impossible" in the sense that no pax could make both flights.

I feel like I've unintentionally done this a few times. Only once did Alaska step in and call me; I got a kind voicemail asking me to cancel one, a few days after booking. Based on that, I gather (a) it doesn't happen automatically, and (b) it's pretty lenient when they do detect it.

Context: I'm in a situation where I want to book a backup transcon for the same day, and (within a day or so of departure) as a 75k cancel the one I can't make. Not sure how fast and loose others have played it here. Thanks!
Why not just book one and SDC change to the other if needed? No fees for 75K or fare difference.

James