FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ontario man loses 370,000 Aeroplan miles saved for retirement
Old May 14, 2019, 7:13 am
jrpallante

Nice thought, but...

Originally Posted by expert7700
2yrs back, I found myself in the YYZ Signature Suite surrounded by million milers. I talked to a (retirement age) father and middle age son. Singapore and India, paid J, every few weeks. They both had over a million Aeroplan miles but had never redeemed any. I did my good dead for the year and showed them FT and the mini RTW threads. The fact that they had never expired seemed to be dumb luck rather than any planning.

I think a ton of people don't book their own flights (during work careers) and a ton of people don't check their email spam filter.

The law on gift cards / points cited upthread seems to (barely) allowing expiration of points.... That needs changed to stipulate that multiple reminder methods need to be employed. Date of mailing a physical letter or post card, and email send logs should be sufficient.

//oh what fun that would be to query a list of accounts that are due to expire and gift tens of thousands of them each 1 mile. Of course, this would totally wreck accounting forecasts for wiping poings off the books.
That is a nice thought, similar to the nice folks who feed an expired parking meter for a stranger. Unfortunately, your plan is not possible: A) the minimum transfer is 1,000 miles, B) you can only make 5 transfers per year, and C) there are additional FU fees and taxes involved, though Aeroplan will not disclose those unless you are actually ready to transfer the miles.