FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Connected Car, and Gas inaccuracies
View Single Post
Old May 12, 2019, 3:22 pm
docbert

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Connected Car, and Gas inaccuracies

I had two rentals with Avis last week, apparently both being "connected cars" which meant that the fuel level was automatically recorded on return. Both rentals were off-airport pickup, airport returns.

The first rental I was charged ~$18 for gas, despite filling up the car about 4 miles from return. When I queried it, they stated that it was a "connected car", and the car had reported that it was not full. As I had driven less than 75 miles, they hit me with the basic "below 75 miles" fee due to me apparently not filling it up. When I pushed (and showed the receipt), they removed the charge.

The second rental was the more interesting one. When I picked up the car (Nissan Altima) the gauge was right on F, and it wasn't too far in that it started dropping below F so I was fairly sure that it wasn't full when I picked it up.
When I was filling it up a few miles from return I estimated that it should take about 1.3 gallons, including what was needed to get me to the drop-off (based on the MPG the car was reporting, and the distance driven). When it got to 1.52 gallons I stopped filling (ie, before it actually cut out). The gauge showed "F" just like when I picked it up.

When I returned, Avis's system decided I'd returned it with more gas than when I picked it up, and actually credited me a few dollars on the rental to cover! But the math just doesn't work...

According to the receipt, when I picked up the car it had 17.0 Gallons. On return, 17.8. So I put in 0.8 gallons more than I used. But I only put in 1.52 gallons, so apparently I used 0.72 gallons - to drive 48 miles.

So either I managed to get 67 MPG out of an Altima (almost double the 35 MPG it claimed), or there system really isn't as accurate as it should be...