FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN or Signature) [2017>]
Old May 12, 2019, 2:58 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Majuki
I agree that a combination of PIN use plus having the cardholder maintain possession of the card at all times would help with the trust in the security of card transactions. I think EMV and mobile payments have helped this somewhat too. There are now more customer facing terminals than there were 5+ years ago, and I don't know how one adequately checks ID against a name on a mobile payment.
I think customer facing terminals are a consequence of PIN, not something that's inherent to rolling out EMV. I believe if it were more clear from the start that the US would be doing chip and signature, many of the merchants not already using customer facing equipment wouldn't have switched. I'm not even sure contactless would have been enough of a motivator, either, even if issuers had issued dual interface cards from the start; many would just tap for customers assuming they had the ability to use it at all.

Originally Posted by Majuki
There's also a lot of merchant and cashier ignorance around liability and chargebacks for card transactions. Checking ID does nothing to change merchant liability for a mag stripe card present transaction. The merchant is now liable.
This assumes that the card is actually run. If an ID check prevents that from happening, there's no liability to shift to the merchant in the first place. At least that's how I think the logic goes, anyway.

Of course, now the merchant has other issues, especially if the customer complains to their issuer/Visa/MC.

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
The problem is also when corporate doesn’t offer anything EMV cpaable to franchisees, like Wing Stop! It pisses me off!
On this note, I'm not sure what's going on with Wetzel's Prezels. I don't think the official POS setup supports EMV either but that hasn't stopped some of the ones around here from having their own solutions (my favorite is the one that uses a Square reader; I forget if that's just for contactless or if they run all cards through it).