FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Two weeks in Newfoundland and St. Pierre
View Single Post
Old May 11, 2019, 1:01 pm
Tax Dude

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
August is too late for icebergs, but you'll likely still see whales. Lots of festivals going on at that time of year. If you're in St. John's the first week of August, check out the George Street Festival They close off the street, there's a headliner band each night at an outdoor stage until 11pm or so and then live music after that in all the bars. The first Wednesday of August, the 7th this year, will be the 201st edition of the Royal St. John's Regatta. at Quidi Vidi Lake. It's the oldest organized sporting event in North America. Lots of fun, it's a city-wide holiday and _everything_ closes down during the day, even restaurants. Very unique event. The holiday is weather-dependent and will be postponed if the weather isn't suitable for rowing. They make the call at 6:00 am, so the locals have a ritual called "Regatta Roulette" where they'll stay out late at the pubs the night before in hopes of a day off the following morning. The following weekend is the Newfoundland Folk Festival held in a downtown park. Another really fun event, with some great music.
If you're going to be in Port Rexton after the 17th of August make sure to get a map and visit some of the Bonavista Biennale exhibits. It's a big art event with about 20 sites scattered over the peninsula featuring a range of contemporary art installations. Some collections, some large-scale single pieces, really, really cool. My favourite from two years ago: https://bonavistabiennale.com/catalo...sts/will-gill/
Bring a range of clothing, and lots of layers! I've never seen snow in August, but I've seen everything else.