FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dusseldorf transfer and transit visas
View Single Post
Old May 11, 2019, 12:18 pm
LondonElite
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
There are some non-Schengen gates at DUS that are at the end of the "A" and "B" piers. These can only be reached by entering Germany (Schengen zone): https://www.dus.com/en/flights/transferring

Your girlfriend would have required a Schengen visa to transfer from C non-Schengen to A or B non-Schengen via A and/or B Schengen (not a transit visa, which is what some unfortunate people require to simply transit, even if they remain in the non-Schengen zone at all times).
Originally Posted by flyingfkb
There is always a small risk when transferring in a country where you need a visa to enter. Quite often people get stuck in the transit zone due a missconnection and can't leave the transit area to stay at a hotel outside for one night. That's the reason why some countries require a regular visa even for just transferring ( and I don't mean the Schengen transfer visa).

Anyways, Tom Tulpe explained pretty well want went wrong. Arriving and departure gate were both non-Schengen gates but are separated by the Schengen area. Probably no one at Eurowings thought of this.
Yes, this was my immediate thought as well. I doubt you'll get much sympathy from EW (rightly or wrongly). Welcome to FT!