FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA A321T 3 class Flagship 2x a day BOS-LAX 2 Apr - 5 Sep 2019
Old May 10, 2019, 11:28 pm
AA2070

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DWFI
Speculating, it is also possible that AA knows they will never sell F and knows that 30 seats is too many, and they're merely using this as an experiment (because they have no spare 75Ls) to test revenue premiums in the J cabin on the route to explore viability of a 321 16J subfleet for this route and others (JFK-SAN/SEA/LAS, etc).
They sell F, but I don't think anybody ever buys it. Ancedotal I know, but my experience on taking AA2542 five times and AA211 twice since this plane showed up on the route:

All 7 flights I was upgraded to J at 100 hours (more like 104 usually for some reason). All 7 times all 20 seats in J showed occupied a few hours before departure, and all 7 times there were two or frewer seats assigned in F.

Expertflyer showed F7 J7 Y7 - so they were willing to oversell an already full J cabin by at least the number of seats available in F.

Rollups on this route have been 100% for me.

Today, 8 J pax (I don't know the breakdown of purchased versus upgrades or 12 month REQD if it matters, but I'm EXP upgraded from Y with a REQD of just over $36k) were rolled to F, 5 pax were upgraded off of the waitlist into J, and 4 very lucky people who didn't have seat assignments at all in Y were op-upped into J and F. For all I know, they were on BE fares.

If they made a 24J, 36MCE, 48Y version of the A321T, that would hit the sweet spot for this route. F is functionally no different than J aside from the food offferings and a slightly more private seat - not worth the premium. This A321T2 would also be able to turn BOS/DCA/IAD/MIA/PHL/JFK-LAX/SAN/SFO/SEA into actual Flagship Transcon routes.