FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why don't displaced passengers call AA rather than stand in a long line
Old May 10, 2019, 2:21 pm
bryanb

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Score8
I've been told specifically that in-airport agents have way more leeway than a typical phone agent. I'm guessing that maybe a CK agent has similar rule-breaking ability.
This has been my experience as well. I even remember chatting with an LGA agent on a rather slow day, and mentioned that I was sadly going to be short of Platinum by just a couple thousand miles that year. The agent nearby actually got excited and said (to roughly paraphrase), "we could get you closer if you'd like. Maybe put you through Boston... Or even BOS-CLT-PHL or MIA if you have the time." She went back over to her terminal to check.

I know this was a golden mileage run opportunity, but I had to get back home quickly so I declined with gratitude. Maybe it's because it was kind of quiet that day, or just that we had some good rapport. Of course, I know the rules are that original routing is required and this wasn't IRROPS, so I'm not feeling emboldened or entitled by this experience, but it was interesting that the agents had any latitude at all to even offer.