FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Elite Airpoint Dollar upgrade for partner
Old May 9, 2019, 1:52 pm
sbiddle

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Beckett66
I think that a gifted Elite APD upgrade can only be cleared in advance if the giftee is travelling with the Elite (on the same or a linked PNR); otherwise it's considered like usual at T-7, day of flight, etc. But even when the giftee is not travelling with the Elite, the gifted Elite APD will be considered at Elite level (unlike a gifted Elite RU, which in that situation is considered at the giftee's status level). This comes from notes I've made from responses on these forums.
Correct. It will clear immediately if traveling with the Elite member and more importantly there are 2x R class (or 2x A class for PE) available.

If not traveling with the Elite member it will be cleared closer to the time, with the real world reality that like most upgrades it won't be cleared or declined until the airport.

The exact situation with Elite APD upgrades and their position in the upgrade list is one thing even people I know there won't tell me.

There is plenty to suggest they are treated as Elite level upgrades but in many ways that does seem slightly unfair - should a gifted APD upgrade for a random non status member be processed before a RU for a Gold or Siler member? Each of us on here will have our own views (probably based on their own status!) as to whether that is fair if it is how they are treated.