FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)
Old May 9, 2019, 11:17 am
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by phltraveler
ExxonMobil seems to be doing anything they can to avoid retrofit of contactless readers from what I see, even as pumps get replaced. They allowed Plenti (before ExxonMobil rewards) to be attached to the physical speedpass keytag, but not all pumps supported it, and now with the new ExxonMobil rewards you either have to physically swipe the card to get rewards (the reward card) or use the Speedpass+ app - which they've put additional Support on Sync3 and Apple watch for as well).

It's disappointing to me as the app works okay, but it's not as easy as just holding up a card/device to a contactless reader. It's convenient that I can authorize the pump before exiting my car in cold/hot weather but it's not as fast and requires me to maintain another app/account with payment information.
I'm not sure ExxonMobil themselves are against it so much as the franchisees. When you've mandated EMV capable hardware outside early on, it's going to be a pretty hard sell for the latter to do a second round of hardware purchases.

Meanwhile, companies like Arco and Shell likely mandated contactless from the start, so that's what happened when it came time to replace pumps/readers.