FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!
Old May 9, 2019, 10:01 am
rustykettel

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Western Airlines
Here's the part I can't figure out, and yes, I've done the searches.

As an MVP, I'm eligible for upgrade to F at the 48 hour window. Why is it then that on most flights I get waitlisted for an UG? What's the point of advertising UGs at T-48 if it almost never happens? I get the "let's hold on to the seats so we might sell them", but again....what's the point of the 48 hour bennie if they don't give it to you?

Thanks.
Upgrades require U space to be available. If U is either never opened, or taken by higher level elites at their windows, or advance instant/GGU/mileage upgrades, there's nothing left to upgrade into. The 48 window is just that, an eligibility window on non-instant upgrade fares (for MVP, that would be Y or S, again still requires U to be >0) that you can be upgraded. Complimentary upgrades are not guaranteed.

After your window opens, it's still possible for more U to be released as Revenue Management feels it is unlike to sell seats with any remained being turned over at airport control to the gate agent for assignment (and should be clearing in list order first before selling).