FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Air Canada Amenity Kit Compendium Master Thread and Wiki
Old May 9, 2019, 7:17 am
yyznomad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Signature Service J kits vs. past J Amenity Kit quality

Although the Signature Class (J) amenity kits (especially international) still somewhat lack in quality, having compared it to the past kits over the past decade, they are definitely the most improved/best over that time, but not necessarily compared to the past 20 years.
  • The WANT Les Essentiels (faux?) leather pouch is an improvement over the past pouches in recent memory... it is arguably much higher quality than the 2012 (green vertical book-opener with zipper) and 2014 (green hemp-ish material with magnetic fastener) AC pouches (with eScents)... definitely a much more "designer" feel this time, if you will
  • the glass cloth is a nice new addition; this has never been in an AC amenity kit at least since the early 2000s (I say at least because I don't have much info on kits prior to that)
  • I still wish AC included a shoehorn like they used to in the mid-2000s kits
  • the Signature Class black eyeshades are much stronger, softer, and a good 50% larger than its predecessors in the last 10 years... I always thought those small green/dark green/grey ones from past kits were pretty pathetic as they didn't do the best job in sealing light from the sides, and they were often too tight with the short elastic bands.
  • the dental kits have remained much the same in terms of toothbrush and toothpaste... the dental floss thingy remains lower quality than the Plackers 2012 kit version...
  • I like the mouthwash that was introduced into the kits a few months after the official Signature Service launch
  • This is the first time (that I know of) where the amenity kit socks aren't just one solid colour the whole way through... the red toe section is helpful in identifying the ends.
  • As for the socks quality and sheerness is on part with others over the last decade, if not, maybe slightly worse than pre-2012 socks
  • Earplugs: Since at least 2012, the earplugs were the light blue ones (OK, but thin and didn't expand much) and then they became the crappy black ones that were difficult to use (sticky film and had almost zero expansion capability)... and now we're back the high quality 3M orange ones (non-sticky, thicker, and very spongy/expandable) that many airlines use... thank goodness for that!
  • As noted by @Wings100 this kit does not feature any Canadian-made products (just brands)... where as in the past with eScents and B.Kamins kits had Canadian made content.
  • The Vitruvi lip balm is not chapstick-style, but rather the viscus petro-jelly type which you can squeeze from the tube and apply to the lips directly, or apply with the fingers
  • The Vitruvi hand cream is nice but has much less "spicy" bergamot/oakmoss/lavender/minty-type scent than in past hand creams (the exception is B.Kamins, which had more of a Maple scent, as expected with their products)... this time around it is much more fruity.
  • Vitruvi packaging is quite nice with its own separate box to hold the hand cream and lip balm
  • Big negative with the current kits - no refreshing towel (not even a refreshing facial mist)... AFAIK, at least since the early 2000s, there has always been a refreshing towel or spray in every kit version... until now.

So overall, compared to past AC kits I'd give the current Signature Service kit (with mouthwash), a B+. I would say the mid-2000 kits were the best for the past 15-20 years.

Anyway, just my 2c.

Last edited by yyznomad; May 9, 2019 at 7:47 am