FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Opinion on fair compensation for major delay (12+ hours) due to CX issue
Old May 8, 2019, 5:30 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Plato90s
Actually based in the US, the Cambridge is not the British one.

Thanks for the feedback - my experience in dealing with domestic carriers is that they're usually willing to give significantly more than 7k RDM's for a major delay.
Yea this is true, the US Big 3 throw out mileage like drunken sailors. It's a bad precedent, if nothing but to train the American traveling public that is normal behavior, when in fact it's a uniquely American phenomenon. (Although perhaps it IS actually well deserved, given the torture flying domestically on those carriers in the US half the time.........). Anyway, overall CX is a good carrier but bad things happen. No it's not your entitlement to milk the carrier for extras when it happens. However, they should do something "reasonable". That includes putting you up, getting something like the KE alternative, etc.

Another thing that's different with the US is the feelings of the customer. Generally, if a US Big 3 inevitably is rude to you on the first few gos around, you can "use that" against them to give you more later. So they'll apologize both for the delay and the service mishap. This is also not how CX works. Obviously, it's frustrating when the airline doesn't "get it" at first, as you described. But if CX got you a reasonable solution, even if they didn't do it right at first, you shouldn't expect even more due to hurt feelings from the initial mishap. Their attitude will be "we got you the good result in the end, correct?" Different approach - in the US they must apologize and give you more for what you described at length about them initially not putting you on KE and the back and forth. Just note that's a US thing, and while not wrong it's not universal. I'm from the US, but have grown to appreciate the way things are handled here, and really scratch my head at the Big 3 approach. But it's true, you guys suffer so much on those flights overall perhaps all the comp is deserved.

It's also normal policy for them to give out duty free vouchers on board for those types of delay, did they give any? eDIT: forgot you took KE. Yea pax on the CX flight likely got the vouchers. I think by accepting KE you probably gave that up.