FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Elite guarantee not honored
View Single Post
Old May 8, 2019, 10:52 am
genotonda

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I thought it was a fair question, not mean-spirited. If I was the GM getting an e-mail days after a stay complaining that a guest didn't get the bed type they reserved, my first question would be, "Well, it wasn't a big enough deal to say anything about it at the time, they apparently slept in the room just fine, so this sounds like just another whiner."

I'm not saying the OP isn't entitled to the room type guarantee or that the situation is fine. But we are now living with the consequences from sites like this convincing people that they are entitled to "compensation" for every little thing. I can only imagine how many spurious complaints hotel management must get on a daily basis, to the point where I can kind of understand them becoming numb to it. And sadly, when a legitimate situation comes up that calls for compassion and that old Marriott "spirit to serve", it gets lumped in with the rest.
Except they literally are entitled to compensation. That's the point of the guarantee. As to why did OP walt until checkout? Because the hotel had until such time to correct the issue and get out of paying compensation. If I check into a hotel and they fail to offer the choice of welcome gift to me, I don't bring it up then, I wait until check out, at which time I request the cash compensation for them not giving me the choice. Many times they will just say, oh we added the points to your account for the welcome gift. And I let them know that was not my choice. Now mobile check-in has pretty much eliminated that, because you basically agree to points when you mobile check-in.

I could see bed size being a little different, because you have to determine if you are willing to sleep in the type of bed that is in your room, and if it is worth the potential compensation the next day, by invoking the guarantee, vs informing the desk that night and having them try to correct the issue. Like the OP, I have also arrived very late at night to a hotel, and walked into a room that had double beds, instead of a king. And I have also been too tired to go back down, and have them try to find me another room with a king bed.

at the end of the day, the OP is entitled to invoke the guarantee. It's a published benefit.