FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Spend accounting for AC vs. WJ
View Single Post
Old May 8, 2019, 9:18 am
chunerrr

Programs: AC, HH
Spend accounting for AC vs. WJ

Does anyone know if AC and WJ account for spending the same way? Reason why I ask is as follows.

I've been following Flyertalk on and off for years, never contributed anything because I'm only a semi-frequent traveler. Not the general public who mostly fly once or twice a year but also have never earned any status in the past. Changed job last year and traveling more but still nowhere near most on this forum.

However, looking at the first 4 months and the remaining 8 of this year, I seem to have arrived at the following conclusion: WJ is much better for the semi-frequent domestic business travelers than AC:
1. Since Jan 1, I've flown with AC on 16 AQS, earned a pathetic 3796 AQM and spent $4,619 AQD;
2. For the remainder of the year, I'm guaranteed to reach 24 AQS, decent likelihood to exceed that and earn my first status. But nowhere near required AQM and way beyond required AQD;
3. No telling if I'll be traveling this much next year, likelihood is low;
4. Put all this together, if I fly AC, every year would be a stretch for me to reach E25K but guaranteed silver and high likelihood of reaching WJ Gold. Making it a no-brainer for me to convert to WJ starting 2021 if I don't maintain AC E25K in 2020.

Which circles back to my original question, do they account for spending the same? Would my current $4,619 AQD be equivalent if I had flown on WJ assuming the fares were close? Meaning I'd already be close to WJ Gold by now.