FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)
Old May 7, 2019, 12:28 pm
davelip

Programs: AA Platinum
AA operated IB marketed codeshare - Basic Economy - AA Gold Status?

Hello, I got myself into a bind and looking for advice. I booked a flight, LAX - LHR, returning EDI - PHL, using Priceline. AA flight quoted at $4.5K, and Iberia was quoted $800. I obviously booked the IB codeshare fare. After booking the flights I saw "ECONOMY CLASS" on the Priceline receipt,

Once I received a AA flight record locator 24 hours later, I logged into AA to select seats and to my horror, saw my ticket was booked as Basic Economy. Speaking to a rep at AA, I was told even though it is an AA operated flight, it is an Iberia codeshare flight that I booked through Ibera, and I am under Iberia's rules, not AA, regardless of my Gold status, so no seat selection, no checked bags (regardless of also having the AA credit card). Iberia customer service is useless as well.

I then learned that Priceline does not show the correct fare class when making your selection when booking Iberia flights, at least I was not made aware of it. If I had gone to the Iberia page when booking, it would have been obvious my ticket class was "BASIC" and not "Economy." Sadly, Iberia's next class which includes baggage and seats would have only been $125 more, which I would have gladly paid had I known.

Can anyone give some guidance as to how this will play out at the airport? I will still go to the AA counter to check in, and show my gold status card and AA credit card, or does none of that matter regarding the baggage.