FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is SFO Doomed?
Thread: Is SFO Doomed?
View Single Post
Old May 6, 2019, 7:46 pm
djp98374

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Yes, 100% correct. I think the title is clickbait at best.

There are a quite a few reasons why flights have not shifted to OAK:
  • Major airlines prefer to connect to other major airlines via SFO. OAK does not yet have a critical mass of airlines that will permit such connections (and in fact can be considered a hub fortress for OAK)
  • There are many days when few flights are delayed and other days when most flights are not delayed >30 minutes. Some of these delays are already built into the schedules. So travelers are willing to risk delays v. using an airport that may be less convenient.
  • There are no flight perimiter restrictions as you find at LGA, DCA, etc. so no incentive for travelers to use an alternative and possibly less convenient airport.
  • There are no fare discounts from OAK and SJC. In fact IME fares are often cheaper from SFO due to the significant competition. Compare to other secondary airports where fares are often cheaper, e.g. BWI, LGB, etc.
  • Legacy airlines largely abandoned OAK after 9/11 and 2008 recession, and the airport has not regained the critical mass that would drive travel there.
  • Absent rush hour traffic, for many East Bay residents it is only a 15-20m longer drive to SFO over OAK, a trip we are willing to take in return for a nonstop flight (particularly international).
  • A lot of visitors don't know that OAK is an option and many come from places that are not served by WN.
Personally I would love to see many more flight options from OAK, but I don't see that happening absent some government mandate, which has never materialized even for discussion.
i agree in parts and disagree in parts...

legacy carriers didnt sbsndon it as it as much as with mergers things changed.

people are aware Oakland is near SFO just like BWI is near dc.

SFO is an international destination. Carriers fly there to link pax

sjc prices are higher given the business traveler traffic it gets. Oakland has less service making its fares higher.

OAK and SJC do have good deals to Hawaii because these aren’t hub cities thus lityke connecting traffic from east coast.

from a commuting to the airport from east side it’s easier to get to sfo because you can be at airport instead of waiting in the hood for a shuttle that you have to pay for.

because of consolidation you have had less flights coming in. Seattle has gotten worse due to delta service expension