FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2 weeks in Australia - Itenarary help
View Single Post
Old May 5, 2019, 7:23 pm
Stivelio

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
What is your budget? As Mwenenzi said, the weather will be better further north, but 4 plane tickets on short notice could be pricey.

Since you are in Melbourne but need to travel to Sydney, you can do a 'triangle' with 2 one-way flights MEL-X and X-SYD, and save time and money (assuming you haven't already booked flights to Sydney). Australian flights are usually priced one-way so unlike the USA you don't pay a premium to book as one-way tickets.

I would suggest the red center. It's quintessential Australia, and that is a good time of year to visit. You can see heaps without hiking. Fly to Alice Springs, check out the Kangaroo Sanctuary (a must-see but sells out, make sure they have bookings available before you lock in your dates!). Fly to Uluru (or drive/bus, about 6 hours) and see the 'big rock'. It's pretty special. You can fly from Uluru (AYQ airport) back to Sydney.

Here are some photos from my trip to the red center:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149998...57673508059797

Another option might be Perth, a bit further to fly but the weather is usually nice in late May / early June. Rottnest Island is a main attraction out there, as well as the Margaret River region.

If your budget is tight, I'd stay around Melbourne, especially if you don't mind if its a bit colder. There's lots to see in Victoria, and plenty of threads on that.
I have lot of points/miles with airlines and hotels and so budget isn't really an issue fortunately. I will start looking for tickets for the places that you mentioned just to double check if the stash of miles that I have will help us get last minute tickets without a lot of money of out of pocket. A big thank you to you and Mwenenzi for the quick recommendations.