FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)
Old May 5, 2019, 3:55 am
uppereastsider

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by james21_h
Blanton's black is everywhere for about $33. Blanton's SFTB can be easily found too at the price you listed above. Just the Japanese whiskies are really hard to get at retail prices! Last time I was at BIC camera Tokyo I got the Yamazaki NAS at 4100 yen which I considered a great deal. And Nikka 12 at 5500 yen... not sure if they are still available at that price anymore. If you are in Japan to hunt any aged Suntory whiskies or Nikka whiskies at retails you are too late to the game now! I remember just one year ago I passed by stores had Hibiki 21 and Hakushu 18 on the shelves for 27,000 yen each and I passed on them because my check in bags are too full already. Now it's a different world out there!
I live in NYC where the cheapest Blantons is 99+ tax. So I’m like a kid in a candy store here. Never had black before.

I only started hunting less than a year ago, so I’m very late to the game.

BUT! Very happy to report I got the last Nikka 12 at Seibu in Shibuya for 6000 yen. Really wanted to walk away from Japan with a Nikka or Hibiki or Yamazaki with an age statement