FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying one million miles in a calendar year on CX metal
Old May 4, 2019, 2:18 pm
michaeltchuang

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by londonexpert
Is it really worth it in the end and have to suffer in Y and PEY for most of the trips
Suffer? I sleep perfectly fine in CX's LH PEY seats (recline is good enough for me)...and I upgrade to a flat-bed whenever I need it. This helps me lower the costs as a frequent traveler.

However, I do understand your perspective. If I dare propose a non flat-bed LH flight to some of my redemption group members (they don't fly a lot)...I'm sleeping on the couch.

Originally Posted by pbd456
1M miles at 3cpm is 30k? assuming an average of 4cpm and 20% of those are redeemed. that is still 32k? (8*4
I did the 1M BIS miles for around $45K USD (so 4.5¢ CPM). The total cost was spread across two years of my typical annual CX spend ($20-30K). My CX flights were a bit backloaded in first year, but heavily front loaded the following year.

It is possible to do 800K miles for $30K. JNB-HKG-YVR-JFK (route pattern I did a lot) is usually around $1100 RT in economy and 30,942 BIS miles (so 3.55¢ CPM)...26 of these (3.55x8) = $28.4K. I flew more PE than Y which is why my average CPM rate was a bit higher.

Originally Posted by kaffir76
Wow you get a billion bonus points for doing this in PE / Y class ... ^
You must be in your 20's or early 30's?
Thanks! Yup...30's.

Originally Posted by kaffir76
If you are based in NYC, how or why do you start your trip from China & JNB?
Price (through different point-of-sale)...here's an example using PEY RT fares...

HKG-JFK = $2,800 USD
JFK-HKG = $2,320 USD
JNB-HKG-JFK = $1,700 USD

With a little more time added to my LH flights (due to a turnaround), I was saving money on my NYC-HKG trips...earning more FF status + miles in the process...and sometimes not paying for a hotel either (e.g. slept on the plane since most flights were overnight).

Originally Posted by Unionruler
Hi OP, given that you early reset constantly, is there any particular reason why you don't run CMB/KTM - JFK/EWR in I class for the comfort instead...?
Since I earn more than enough CP for Diamond every year...I liked earning more RDM (Asia Miles is based off distance still) which is why I largely chose JNB. However, I've now almost completely switched over to ex-PVG fares these days (and foreseeable future once new lounge opens) since Shanghai is a turnaround location where I can leave airport and actually do work for a few hours (meet business partners, etc). Plus, there is a Disney Park there as well.

Originally Posted by Unionruler
Is your op-up % HKG-JFK/EWR quite high...?
Not very high...my op-up rate is around 20% as a Diamond. With the help of ExpertFlyer seat maps though...I've usually been able to make sure the seat next to me is empty when I fly Y/PEY (or maybe it's because I'm Diamond and CX is consistently seat blocking to be nice...another hidden perk?).