FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - T2 LHR lounges
Thread: T2 LHR lounges
View Single Post
Old May 4, 2019, 11:08 am
lhrpete
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by iahphx
Oh, brother. I see that this is another stupid problem created by the weakness of the global airline alliance structure. Basically, airlines come up with new ways to generate ancillary revenue that nobody thought of when the alliances were created, and then some airlines try to pass along these fees to elites even when they obviously shouldn't. Like coach seat assignments. I can fly as a Star Alliance Gold, get priority baggage handling, a special check in counter, extra luggage allowance, access to a lounge, but I can't get an advance seat assignment for free back then because nobody thought to include this benefit a decade ago (because every traveler got this "benefit" for free).

Croatia Airlines web page states the following:
  • Extra Baggage Allowance
As a Gold Status holder you can choose not to travel light. We allow an additional 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies, or one additional piece of luggage where the piece concept applies.

There's nothing that excludes Basic Economy fares (if you even know you're travelling under one) from this benefit. If I am charged an extra fee, I will dispute it with my credit card company.

BTW, do they also weigh your "personal item" at T2? If not, I guess I can put heavier items, like a book and my computer, into that.
I totally agree, I was in on the ground floor of *A gold all those years ago and at the time the listed benefits were great. Since then new things that attract ancilliary fees have rarely been included so while the original benefits remain they have barely been added to though I do see things like Gold Track as a huge advantage and that was an addition because again, back in the day priority security lines were rare.

The European *A carriers will allow you an additional checked bag however only on fares where you have a checked bag to begin with. That's not how it always has been, to start with they did allow you a bag on a HBO fare but it was taken away and now you get nothing.

The difference in price on booking of OU fares between Flyeasy - no bag and Flyopti with a bag is usually only about €12, why not upgrade one ticket then you get two bags because of *G status? I would suggest attempting to dispute a card charge will be fruitless because they will have charged you in accord with their rules.

FWIW 8kg is also the maximum limit in Business Class (SQ allow less) but you can have two pieces but they are still subject to weight control although they rarely check business class passengers. The only exception I know of is A3 who instead of 2x8kg will in business let you take on 1x13kg.

As for weighing the personal item - the limit on that is also 8kg, it's not done as systematically as they weigh rollers and if you don't have a roller you stand little chance of having it weighed but I have seen them insist on weighing both - particularly if the passenger is arguing about weight or charging!