FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old May 4, 2019, 7:51 am
miniliq

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
It has been awhile since I experienced this type of flight attendant....and I have not encountered her type since that time.

I believe it was back in the early 1990's. I was on board a Delta flight in first class from Anchorage to Salt Lake City operated with a 757. This route had been previously flown by Western, of course, with B727-200 and DC-10 equipment. A Lady of a Certain Age made the welcome on board announcement and I was struck by her elegance and professional nature. Then came breakfast and her extremely gracious service. I felt this must have been what cabin service was like back in the Good Olde Days of Air Travel. We got to talking later in the flight and it turned out she had begun her career with Western before they had acquired Pacific Northern, working on board such aircraft as the DC-6B and later the Electra, 707 and 720B.

I recently mentioned that we received excellent service on board an American B777-200 this past Wednesday from MIA to DFW.....but it did not approach the very high level of service I experienced from the Lady of a Certain Age who began her career all those years ago with Western.
By coincidence, Bette Nash, AA's senior flight attendant, was featured in this latest post from The Points Guy
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/#in...NGBrvXpxSNpxLg
At age 83, she's still working -- and here I was complaining about my reduced flying -- I often joke that I was taught to respect my seniors, but it's getting harder to find any -- well, she gets my respect -- I'm only 82. She certainly reminds one of the Good Olde Days.