FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using OneWorld Sapphire Status to Avoid Seat Selection Fees
Old May 3, 2019, 6:31 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
I have a question related to this thread subject. I have OW Sapphire status, which I believe means I do not need to pay for BA seat selection. I am booking a paid ticket LGW-MLA in July. As I go through the booking pages, I reach the seat selection (paid) page long before I can enter my AA number, which should enable free seat selection. What is the process to get my number attached to the booking to enable free seat selection?
You have got the process correct, and it's a long standing feature of BA.com (as in 10 years plus). What you need to do in the first round of booking is NOT select seats, but do add in your Sapphire number. Then after payment has been confirmed, and invisibly your Sapphire status too, you should be able to go back in to Manage My Booking to select your seats for free a few minutes later. If this seems rather strange, the reason being is that those with BAEC status would / should log in first - and thus confirm their credentials - and so they go straight to seat selection on revenue bookings (but oddly, not redemptions); whereas you don't have a mechanism to log in.