FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What happened to the a350 order?
View Single Post
Old May 2, 2019, 7:24 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
However, I should have emphasized a new build/design issues/significant delays/etc, rather then just changing to a composite wing and new engines (as seems to be the publicly perceived issue that has contributed to the max issues).
The 777 and 737 have completely different handling characteristics. There is zero reason to believe that the 777X will have a similar nose-up tendency just because the engines are bigger. (The engines on the 737NG are much larger than those on the classic 737, but the 737NG doesn't have the same tendency).

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
For me its not a contest the A350 would be my choice over the 787 every time.

I hope that UA adds them to the fleet at 9 across with the extra cabin width you get on the A350 it would be their most comfortable long haul seat in economy.
Like most aircraft decisions, it's going to come down to personal preference and to seats -- and the seats have little / nothing to do with the aircraft itself. The A350 SQ J seat is the least comfortable flat-bed seat I've ever flown. Until / unless UA starts seeing book-away in Y due to seat comfort -- and it seems clear that they haven't, and if they haven't by now, they probably won't -- they're not going to be concerned with a wider cabin.

I maintain that UA has zero interest in ever taking delivery of the A350.