FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mileage runs for Flying Blue - best routes?
Old May 1, 2019, 5:15 pm
Henry III

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
transit would have been more than 20 hours and less than 24 hours ... I'm fine with that. Had that in Chengdu once. No problem.

Anyway I have ticketed it - BUD-CDG-AMS-TPE/TPE-HKG (23 hours layover) HKG-CDG-AMS-BUD ... 1543€ minus 350€ travel voucher = 1193€ - not the best XP ratio you could get, but cool journey to Asia.
Hmmm! Decent trip, for sure … but I once had an EUR-TPE-SYD-AKL r/t (CI) with 18/22 hour layovers in TPE. Not good memories, really.

Maybe I was in the wrong frame of mind, or just plain grumpy, but I found the folks around the airport zone (miles from anywhere) quite unhelpful, even rude (outbound). On the way back, I decided to get a 'day room' at the airport Novotel. Lovely hotel and really nice staff, but the ****s at the Accor Club credited my status level as "0 nights" (despite paying a full o/n rate and having 8+ hours of sleep).

If I do such a long layover at TPE again, I would certainly arrange (in advance or on the spot) a taxi ride to see something (there's quite a few decent sights, according to a respected family member). There's really sweet Fanny Adams at the airport.

-- Henry

Edit: Sorry, misread your post! Layover(s) at HKG are far more fun.