FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 7 hour layover in Istanbul
View Single Post
Old May 1, 2019, 5:44 am
deniah

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Dave737
i was just there a couple weeks ago.

plan an hour each way from the airport. i used cabs, it wan't too bad. there is no airport express train yet, they're still working on it.

the Blue Mosque doesn't take very long because there isn't really a lot to see. the main dome is blocked from view by a 2nd floor they've built into the thing, that you can't get to. just take a few pictures of the outside and call it good.
i've seen pictures of the Hagia Sophia interior, and it's impressive, but i didn't wait in the hour-long line.

if it's shopping you want, then go to the Grand Bazaar and wander around for a while. it's a labyrinth and a gauntlet all in one. i found one little stall with a guy selling what appeared to be real antiques. i saw this lamp (typical Aladdin's Lamp style) and asked how old it was? "how old do you want it to be?" walking around, i saw a few one-off items that may have genuinely old, but it turns out most stuff is new, they just make it look old.

getting lunch is no problem. there is no end to the cafes and restaurants in the old town. you don't even have to be on the main road between Hagia Sophia and the Grand Bazaar.

go into Istanbul knowing that everyone gets in your face, wanting to sell you something, and everyone sells everything. it's a non-stop assault. if they approach you with "hello my friend", walk away. actually, if you see them even looking at you, just walk away. even my cab driver, on the way to the airport, tried to sell me a guided Topkapi tour. no thanks, i'd prefer that you just take me to the airport.

overall, i was not very impressed. just a bucket list item checked off.
you might want to see it a bit more, especially beyond that tourist trap of a bazaar. it was the capital of the roman empire. its got a serious mix of old and new. and also IMO the most underrated cuisine in the world.