FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where is the SWU available? (Are SWU usable / useful?)
Old May 1, 2019, 12:34 am
SamOF

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by embarcadero1

Wait - you actually change dates and times of travel to use SWUs?

Maybe this is a common occurrence for some people, but I don’t personally know of anyone who does this. If I did that I’d be single, unemployed or both.

I’m not willing to give up personal time to use an upgrade. I can’t see how else you’d do this without paying to fly by sacrificing your personal life.

If if you’re willing to give up personal time to use an SWU, all I can say is that you’re paying way more than I’d be willing to pay. I’d rather spend money than time. And other than traveling on personal time, I have no real choice about where or when I go. I can’t swap days or destinations to use an upgrade. I can’t imagine being able to do that.
Times of travel certainly—if I can leave two hours later and have a great chance of clearing an SWU...yes. Dates, sure, within reason. If I'm setting a one-week trip, and have flexibility on which week I go, it factors into that consideration.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean about "using personal time." I don't travel internationally in coach for work, so I'm not using them on business trips.

It's becoming clear that part of your declaration of their universal uselessness is that you were only thinking of using them on work trips—did it really not occur to you that some people (the vast majority on flyertalk, I suspect) travel for fun?