FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where is the SWU available? (Are SWU usable / useful?)
Old May 1, 2019, 12:29 am
embarcadero1

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Originally Posted by SamOF
Well, if you understand how saver awards work, then you understand that you can't just pick inflexible dates and times and throw up your hands if the flights you want aren't available. I'm not necessarily flying on my optimal routes and times—I'm flying when a SWU is extremely likely to clear. And so far I've been right.

"Worthless to me [when I have fixed routes and times and will not wait list]" is also a very different argument than "Useless." Which is what the poster I was responding to said.
Wait - you actually change dates and times of travel to use SWUs?

Maybe this is a common occurrence for some people, but I don’t personally know of anyone who does this. If I did that I’d be single, unemployed or both.

I’m not willing to give up personal time to use an upgrade. I can’t see how else you’d do this without paying to fly by sacrificing your personal life.

If if you’re willing to give up personal time to use an SWU, all I can say is that you’re paying way more than I’d be willing to pay. I’d rather spend money than time. And other than traveling on personal time, I have no real choice about where or when I go. I can’t swap days or destinations to use an upgrade. I can’t imagine being able to do that.