FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First Bali Trip - Hotel Recommendations? Amex FHR vs other? (Consolidated)
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:17 pm
chinmoylad
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
This was experienced/written by my colleague (disclaimer, he was hosted etc etc), so not creating a full separate thread for it but full review of Soori Bali is here: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/soor...-hotel-review/

Video and some pics:

Couple of key points - and I've generally compared these directly to Amankila because that's the real reference point here, and they're similar in that they're both beach resorts (black sand at that) that are quite far from the main areas of Bali.
  • He thought the resort was absolutely wonderful on the whole - amazing hard product for the most part, great food throughout, pretty good service throughout. Though note the comments re: beach villas being a bit dark
  • The water is a bit rough (unlike at Kila) so swimming etc for very advanced people only; kayaking etc very, very difficult.
  • In comparison to Amankila, there aren't really many common areas that you find yourselves in - so unless you're out doing an activity, you spend most of the time in the villa itself (vs the main pool or beach club at Amankila). The main pool at Soori is picturesque enough, but something of a let down in comparison to the rest of the resort (and to the usually gorgeous Aman pools).
  • It just lacks a certain charm that Amankila has that is completely intangible (he stayed with me at Amankila a few years ago); all in all it's a fantastic resort, it's just missing something...soul?
What surprised me the most was the 10-bedroom Soori Estate. Bit disappointing that!