FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Drunk passengers in emergency / exit seats
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:02 pm
GadgetFreak
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by villainstlucia
Hello,

my first posting, even if I read since quite some time. On my flight from MIA to UVF (AA2295 on April 23th), there was a couple in their 50s on their honey moon. Good for them! The problem is that I had noticed already before boarding how drunk they were (it was far beyond any understandable exitement for this historic event, and their behaviour was all about beeing intoxicated). I assume it was alcohol only but I am not an expert.

I was sitting in the row behind the emergency seats and... voila... they were sitting in front of me, at the emergency seat. I noticed how the FA tried to professionally oversee and ignore the situation, and I must admit I made the big mistake of not asking the FA or the purser to have them seated to first class for example, and hopefully having not intoxicated people at the emergency exit. On a negative answer I would have had enough time to deboard before take off. Call me crazy, but I did really not feel comfortable during the entire flight because of them (as did other fellow passengers).

Take note that on this config it was 2 + 2 on the emergency exit row... therefore one door had to be operated by the honeymooners. Of course chances that an emergency occours is low, perhaps the FA could have helped, etc. etc. But if the FA ask people sitting their if they are willing and able to assist in case of emergency, I assume it has a certain importance.

During the flight the soon to be husband went back and forth a few times, always with new drinks. I can not say if the FA was smart enough to pour tonic water without Gin i the plastic cups.... or if he had a bottle somewhere. Still, the couple was wasted during the entire flight, literally dancing in the seat, shouting, singing, hardly able to keep their eyes propperly open. When walking everybody could witness how difficult it was for them....

Is this a situation where AA should have done something Is this something passengers must accept? I did send a mail to AA, all they said is they would investigate the situation... nothing else.I admit that I also asked for a compensation since I really had to be worried all the time. Nothing.

What are your thoughts?
Sorry.