FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Family Policy 50% off kids room - Bad experience
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:15 am
englisha

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Family Policy 50% off kids room - Bad experience

Just stayed for 3 nights in Germany and booked 2 rooms directly through the hotel's reservations team, one for my wife and I and one for our kids aged 5 and 8. There were a few emails exchanged, but the kids ages were confirmed twice and was told by reservations "I have noted that the rooms are next to each other located" I am also currently a Diamond member.

Anyway, at check in, the sequence of events went like this
- Was offered 2 rooms some distance apart on the executive floor. As the kids cant sleep alone in the room, we'd have to be 1 adult and 1 child in each room.
- After refusing this, was offered 2 rooms opposite each other on a non executive floor, but would still need to sleep 1+1.
- After speaking to the manager, they offered to "upgrade" us to a suite which could sleep 4 (2 on extra beds), but we would have to pay an extra 187 euro a night before tax (on top of the adult room price, bringing the total to over 300 euro a night).

At this point, I asked for a refund of my prepaid amount as it was getting silly....The clerk went back to the manager out the back
- Next, was offered the suite for a lower supplement. I refused to pay more than our original reservation, especially as we were going from 2 rooms to 1, even though that one was a suite.
- Finally, was offered the suite for the price of our 2 standard rooms.

What really got me was that firstly I was told that they didnt know that we had 2 kids coming (despite the confirmation) and that they couldn't guarantee an adjoining room in advance. However, the extra room I booked was for kids stay 50% off in extra room for kids under 12, and as kids that young can't stay alone, why have this offer?

I should add that later that day I decided to speak to the manger to express my disappointment in the way it was handled and she agreed to take the extra room charge off the bill, so in the end I got to a stage where I was happy with the outcome. However, I will be very nervous to book such a room again if we may be split up as a family.