FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best non-"high-end" sushi in Tokyo?
View Single Post
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:09 am
LAX/HKG

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Not sure if this qualifies as "non high end" - it's actually what I would consider high quality, but with a very reasonable price. I strongly recommend Sushi Taichi Ginza. I ended up booking a solo lunch when my other options were closed for the National Day holiday, and I needed an early lunch the next day before rushing to the airport.

Taichi offers two omakase options, Y5,000 and Y10,000, the latter was 19 pieces of a very decent size and I was pretty stuffed by the end of lunch. Total with tea and service charge was Y10,500, and with the conversion at about $95US, I feel the balance of quality, quantity, craftsmanship and cost worked out perfectly. You can go for the smaller course at Y5,000 and still be just fine. I was so happy with my lunch, I will probably return for a dinner service in the future.

Clientele was 100% Japanese plus me, 9 of us in total, all younger 30-ish office workers. Group 2 for the 1230P lunch seemed a little more mixed, but from what I could see as I left, also all Japanese. The senior apprentice speaks some English, and I was generally served first before the other groups in rotation, and I was never left to feel neglected, isolated or "foreign", of course showing proper sushi decorum and appreciation probably helped.

The trick is finding the restaurant - both Google and Apple maps will lead you to the wrong place - so let the map apps lead you to the point where you are in front of the Ginza Bellevue hotel with the hotel on your left - keep walking to the next side street, turn left, then turn left again into the small alley and the shop is on the second floor of a building half way down the alley on the left side. Look for the people lined up on the street waiting for a different restaurant, and you'll see the stairs just to the left of where they are lined up. Once upstairs on the second floor, Taichi is the only door.
How do I make a reservation at this restaurant? I will have a 8-hour layover in Tokyo on a Monday in September. I don’t speak any Japanese.